Nito.Async.Sockets API

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Hi ....

I was wondering if you have made some changes (ready to be posted) on your (excellent) nito async library ... especifically on async.sockets ... I read that you'll improve the performance and apply the task library and async ctp pattern ... Am I correct? any change? ...

Thanks in advance ...

Regards,

Johnatan.

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Originally, I was planning on having the task/async improvements be an addition to Nito.Async, but this has changed. It's cleaner to keep the new task/async code in a new library (Nito.AsyncEx); there is very little overlap between the two.

Nito.Async will get at least one more update but will stay focused on EAP. I'm not planning to add any new features at this time.

The socket support is going to be split: the old-style EAP sockets will still exist (but with some API changes), and a new socket abstraction will be coming (Rx-based, not task/async). My goal is to have the old-style sockets be as widely-compatible as possible (including Compact Framework). Because of this, the old-style sockets will have to split off into their own library and no longer be a part of (or even dependent on) Nito.Async. The Rx-based sockets will probably be their own independent library as well; I have no plans to make them a part of Nito.AsyncEx.

I'm finding that I have much less time to work on open-source projects than I used to. Getting married and having children is quite time consuming (but worth it!). I'm also getting hit quite hard by the economy. It's highly likely that the new socket libraries (with source) will be sold, rather than free.

Hope that clears it up -
       -Steve

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Ok ... I understand .... thanks for your quick reply and thoughts ...

Cheers ...

Johnatan.